3 Steps To Take If Someone Sues You For A Car Accident

Posted on

If you were in a car accident in the past and were at fault for the accident, the other person has a right to sue you for damages. If this happens, you might feel scared, overwhelmed, and uncertain of what you should do. Here are three good steps you should take if this happens.

Call your insurance company

When the accident happened, did you have car insurance? If so, you have nothing to worry about. Your auto insurance company will be responsible for the claim. If you did not have insurance, the person can sue you for money, and you will have to pay up.

When you call your insurance company, they will most likely ask when the accident took place. They will do this to make sure that you had coverage during this time. Next, they will probably ask for the information you received that notified you that the person was suing you. They will then try to work out a deal with the person suing you.

Gather up any documents you have from the case

A second good step to take is to gather up any documents you have from the accident. This can include insurance documents, the police report from the accident, and any medical bills you may have from the accident.

Contact a lawyer

Finally, you should contact a lawyer for help. While your insurance company might be able to reach a settlement with the other party, it might be wise to have a lawyer. One of the things you lawyer might do is try to prove you were not at fault. He or she might also try to prove that the other driver had at least some fault in the accident.

In addition, your lawyer will research the date of the accident to see if the person filed the lawsuit within the statute of limitations, which is a specified period of time a person has to file a case. If the person waited too long to file the case, the lawyer will fight against it, because the person waives the right to file a case after this period of time ends.

Finding out that someone is suing you for a car accident is never pleasant news, but you should not try to handle this on your own. You can call a law firm today to learn more about your rights and to receive legal services on your behalf.